If you pay attention, forests do talk. They sing and they try to communicate with you. You only need to have the desire to understand what they say.
Forests can be deadly, resourceful and amazing. Some people try to find peace their while some just prefer them to meditate and realize themselves, who they are.
Amazon forest has a different identity of its own. There are numerous facts about the Amazon forest that is good to know. Let’s see how much did you know.
We have listed some of the amazing unknown facts here.
1. First of all, Amazon is known to be the longest river in the world with a stretch of around 7000 km. The water contained in the river is more than the water in river Mississippi, Nile and Yangtze combined.
2. Compared to the Amazons of Greek, there were few female warriors called Thelcamiabas or ‘Women without husband’. These once attacked a Spanish explorer Francisco Orellana. Based on these warriors, he named this river Amazon.
3. The river Amazon flows in around 55 gallons of water every second into the ocean.
4. It’s highly surprising but the world’s 20% oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest.
“May what I do flow from me like a river, no forcing and no holding back, the way it is with children.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
5. Amazon rainforest consists of 2.5 million square miles of land area which, if ever formed, can become the 9th largest country.
6. Though only 1% of the plants and trees have been tested of these amazing forest, yet they contribute to the ingredients of around 25% of all western pharmaceuticals.
7. There are around 3000 types of fruits in the Amazon rainforest. The western world consumes only 200 from them.
8. Origin of almost 80% of the food around the world is said to have found here.
Do you know the richest temple of the world is in Kerala? You may also like reading unknown facts about Kerala.
9. A hectare area of land in this forest can consist of 1500 types of plants and 750 types of trees together.
10. Amazon rainforest is found in 9 South American countries mainly Brazil, Columbia, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia, and three Guyana.
11. An estimate of around 137 species is getting extinct every day due to deforestation.
12. The Amazon forest is so dense that only 1% of the sunlight reaches the ground making through canopies of the tree.
Exciting? Do you feel like visiting such dense forest but running short of budget? Don’t worry, you can consider reading flight booking hacks that can save you huge money.
13. Even though the rate of deforestation has been slowed down, still the rate at which deforestation is happening i.e. 1.5 acres every second, within 40 years the Amazon forest will be completely destroyed if it doesn’t stop.
14. When this forest contributes to 20% of the world’s oxygen, 30% of carbon emission comes from the burning of the Amazon forest.
15. Once Amazon River actually flowed backward i.e. from east to west. After the rise of Andes Mountain around 100 million years ago, the river changed its course and flows in its current direction now. This can be accounted after the geologists in 2006 found the sediments upstream of their source which the river flows out to the ocean now.
These were few amazing unknown facts about the Amazon rain-forest and river. How much did you know? I hope these facts generated a curiosity to explore them live for your experience. What are the other facts that you think we missed out? Let us know in the comments section below.